February 25, 2015
Over the last week, designers, models and elite fashionistas from around the world swarmed The Big Apple for NYFW for seven days of haute couture shows, backstage beauty blitzes, street style shoots and seriously chic after-parties. We loved the shearling-lined coats, flouncy fringe skirts and abundance of fur and 70’s-inspired looks paired with long, luxurious tresses in a number of fabulous styles. But what caught our eyes above all? Beautiful, textured and modernized braids are back and better than ever! Not only did we see fabulously updated plaits on this year’s top models, but some of our favorite fashion icons and bloggers such as Olivia Palermo and the Barefoot Blonde were seen on NYC’s frigid streets sporting some seriously bombshell braids. In an effort to help you get your strands très chic post Fashion Week, we had stylists Cameron Ryan and Theresa Chalowski recreate our favorite NYFW looks complete with their step-by-step instructions and product recommendations!
Street Style Snake Braid
- Apply 2-3 pumps of Kérastase Cristaliste Cristal Sculpt to dry hair for shine and manageability and use a flat iron to straighten hair until it is smooth and sleek.
- Take a 1-2 inch section of hair on the side of your head and begin braiding, pulling alternating loops loose as you go to achieve desired “snaking weave” effect. Do this on both sides using Kérastase Lift Vertige to help smooth and control the braid.
- Cross the two snake braids over in the back and entwine the pieces so they appear to form one continuous braid.
- Spray Kérastase K Laque Noire all over to hold hair in place and secure ends and flyaways with bobby pins.
Mara Hoffman Milkmaid Plaits
- Apply Kérastase Cristaliste Cristal Sculpt to add shine to dull or dry hair.
- Take a large section of hair on the side of your head and braid it across your crown. Repeat on the other side.
- Tease the rest of your hair and split into two sections. Braid each section down the back of your neck and secure with a thin elastic.
- Apply L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip texturizing powder for added texture. Gently tug on the braids to achieve desired messy effect.
Braid-Embellished Blogger Pony
- Apply Kérastase Lift Vertige to the crown and mid-sections of hair. Then, brush through hair and French braid a 3-inch section on one side of the head.
- Pull the hair up into a pony and tug at the top pieces to give a fuller look and secure with an elastic.
- Spray the tail of the pony with Kérastase K Laque Noire and tease in an upward motion to achieve a messy, texturized volume.
- Wrap a small section of hair around the top of the pony to conceal the elastic, tucking the ends underneath to secure.
Tried one of our fabulous NYFW looks? We want to see! Tag a photo of yourself from your latest at home styling session with #SalonCapri on Instagram for a chance to be featured on our Social Feed!