March 7, 2014
The big night has finally come: the Oscars! This year was full of exciting, interesting, and somewhat weird moments. From Ellen taking selfies with the star-studded audience and breaking Twitter, followed by her ordering pizza (while Brad Pitt passed out plates) to John Travolta’s slip of the tongue (who is Adella Dazeem?), there was never a dull moment. And although we were crushed over Leonardo DiCaprio’s loss, we were revived with all of the amazing hair!
This year, the hairspiration was old Hollywood glamour – swoon! We loved the silky, sultry curls featured on Sandra Bullock, Kate Hudson, Cate Blanchett, and Margot Robbie. Maria Menounos’ braid and curl combo was beautiful too. SalonCapri was so inspired, our senior stylist, Graziella Lembo, recreated the looks and shared her styling step-by-steps on how to get the celeb looks at home:
Sandra Bullock’s Oscars 2014 Hairstyle
- Begin by applying L’Oréal Professionnel Liss Unlimited Serum throughout dry hair.
- Create a deep side part on either side of your head.
- Next, with a 1-inch flat iron, pick up 1-inch sections of hair and curl towards your face. Whichever side your hair will be draping over, is the direction your hair should curl.
- To create a more relaxed, old Hollywood curl, gently brush out your curls with a soft bristle brush like one from Mason Pearson.
- Lightly work Kérastase Elixir Ultime Crème Fine throughout hair for shine.
- Drape curls over one side of your shoulder and use a teasing comb to add body to the hair above your forehead that is parted to one side. Set each section with Kérastase Resistance Double Force Hairspray. Continuing with the teasing comb, smooth your hair over on the side with the deep side part and secure with hairspray.
Maria Menounos’ Oscars 2014 Hairstyle
- To replicate this look, begin by applying Kérastase Resistance Fibre Architecte throughout dry hair.
- Next, curl the hair using a 1-inch curling iron. Once curled, brush through the hair to loosen the curl and then create a center part.
- Using the entire front half of hair, create a French braid on either side of your part and secure the pieces with an elastic.
- Next, pull the remaining hair in the back into a ponytail and secure your braids to the ponytail using bobby pins. Use bobby pins that match your hair color so they blend into the look.
- Taking curled pieces from your ponytail, create big loops of hair around the ponytail and secure with a bobby pin. Repeat this step until all the hair has been pinned.
- Set the entire look with Kérastase Resistance Double Force Hairspray.
And of course, we can’t forget the always stunning Jennifer Lawrence. Even though she didn’t win any awards that night, J-Law still killed it on the red carpet with a chic, voluminous ‘do that represented short haired girls everywhere. Graziella shared her styling tips and product recommendations for this fabulous style:
- To recreate this look, begin by distributing Shu Uemura Fiber Lift Protective Volumizer throughout dry hair. This will protect your hair from heat damage and add shine.
- Next, curl your hair using large hot rollers.
- Once curled, back comb each section of hair while brushing on Shu Uemura’s Volume Maker Invisible Texturizing Powder to create height.
- Using your fingers, gently pull your hair backwards.
- For added shine and hold, Graziella recommends finishing the look with Shu Uemura’s Sheer Lacquer Finishing Spray.
Awards season may be over, but the fabulous hair doesn’t have to stop!
Tried one of our looks? We want to see! Tweet us a pic to @SalonCapri!