July 1, 2014
We all have that friend with the gorgeous hair that she deftly “throws” into a miraculously immaculate messy bun with the greatest of flyaway-free ease, while we struggle in front of the mirror surrounded by an arsenal of styling products… to no avail. Now, beach waves and blowouts are nice, but it’s always good to have a stylish pool-to-party updo backup plan, especially with the humid July 4th holiday right around the corner! To solve all of your last-minute messy bun styling snags, we asked Senior Stylist Graziella Lembo to share her secrets to creating the perfect stay-put messy bun. We guarantee your style-savvy friend will be asking YOU for hair tips after this tutorial!
1. A messy bun won’t hold up well on a freshly washed mane – Graziella recommends prepping squeaky clean strands with L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip Texturizing Powder all over hair for added volume and grip.
2. Next, comb hair up into a loose ponytail and secure with an elastic at desired height.
3. Graziella’s number one secret to a perfect messy bun? “Start with a ponytail and loosely braid it prior to twisting it up into the bun. This will help the bun keep its shape and hold throughout the day! For a less messy finish, tuck the ends under the elastic.”
4. Twist the loosely braided ponytail up into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
5. Gently pull out a few face framing pieces to complete the messy look and finish with L’Oréal Professionnel Freezing Mist Hard Hold Finishing Spray for hold and shine.
Have you mastered the art of the messy bun? We want to see! Tweet us a pic to @SalonCapri!