December 22, 2015
Get ready to glisten with this dazzling ‘do by Newbury St. and Dedham stylist Theresa Michalowski. Topped off with twinkling mini lights, this intricate yet effortless chignon is easier to style than you would think and can be done at home in just seven simple steps!
Holiday Lights Updo
1. Start by dividing hair vertically into 3 separate sections.
2. In the middle section, create 3 braids going down the back of the head – one at the crown, one in the middle and one at the nape of the neck. As you braid, do not separate the ends. Instead, allow them to knot for a more textured look. Spray braids with L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip for hold and added texture.
3. Take a small piece of hair at the end of each braid and push braid upward to loosen and add texture to the braid.
4. Use the braid closest to the nape of the neck as the anchor for the battery pack. Place the pack against the nape while leaving the lights off to the side. Pin braid around the battery with bobby pins to hide the pack and secure onto the head.
5. Take the other two braids and pin around the battery pack and back of the head to create a messy looking and textured chignon.
6. Twist each side section over the top of the chignon and secure on either side with bobby pins. Spray with Kérastase Laque Noire for a strong hold.
7. Take the holiday lights and gently secure into chignon with bobby pins in a random fashion for a festive and effortless look.